TCNJ offers an optional but impactful experience for incoming first-year students, including new transfers and traditional first-years! This 4-day, 3-night program welcomes students to campus early and offers a broad range of leadership and personal development, meaningful community building, and introduction to TCNJ resources. This year, we are hosting three tracks – Operation LEAD, Operation BeWell, and Operation Justice & Equity! Each track has focused workshops, activities, and conversations that allow students to dive into their passions before the semester begins. Details below:
- Operation LEAD: Participants will engage in a variety of interactive experiences including a low ropes challenge course, community service projects, and team building exercises that will provide students with the resources to become better connected to life at TCNJ. Students will discover their personal strengths, develop leadership skills, forge long-lasting bonds with other incoming freshmen, and, most importantly, have fun! Operation LEAD is constructed in a way that can make the transition from high school to college easier for future TCNJ campus leaders by creating a community of first year students and providing networking opportunities with TCNJ faculty and staff. Participants will discover how to empower themselves to make an impact on the TCNJ community and beyond!
- Operation BeWell: The Department of Recreation and Wellness has designed a schedule that will provide active, engaging, and educational activities to teach students about all areas of wellness: intellectual, spiritual, occupational, emotional, physical, social, and environmental. Students will learn about on-campus resources available to them including advocacy, education, services, and programs. Activities range from yoga and guided workouts, to low ropes courses, hikes, nutrition lessons, and mindfulness. Participants will also engage with members of the Health and Wellness staff to learn about living a wellness-based life at TCNJ. Mixed in with this fun will be lots of time to get to know your fellow classmates and get your first taste of Lions Pride.
- Operation Justice & Equity: This program is designed to enhance the cross-cultural experience for participating students at TCNJ! Throughout the four days, you’ll participate in a series of activities that help you gain a stronger understanding about equitable leadership skills, communication, and understanding of personal experiences. We prepare students for the transition into college in dealing with culture shock, imposter syndrome, and self-advocacy. Participants will walk away with a greater sense of purpose while strengthening their critical thinking and community network. Hosted by the Office of Intercultural Affairs within the Division of Inclusive Excellence.
Dates: Sunday, August 21 – Wednesday, August 24, 2022
- Students living on-campus will move into their residence hall on Sunday, August 21. All participants will immediately roll into Welcome Week activities (which run Thursday, August 25 – Monday, August 29). The first day of class is Tuesday, August 30.
- Scholarships are available for certain programs; see the application for more details.
Please fill out the application no later than Friday, July 29, 2022. You have the ability to rank your preferences, and applying to more than one will increase your chances of participating.
Questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out to the following offices hosting the programs:
- Operation BeWELL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Operation Justice & Equity: email@example.com
- Operation LEAD: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest!